ralinktech (rt2500) drivers in kernel?

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Wed Mar 8 06:42:28 UTC 2006

Chidananda Jayakeerti wrote:

>>Get it merged in the upstream kernel. Fedora kernel is unlikely to
>>include such features as patches.
>>

>Intel ipw drivers were included in the fedora kernel even before they were
>merged upstream.

Which was repeatedly mentioned as a major pain point. While we can make
specific exceptions there should be a good rationale behind such efforts.

> Maybe if fedora merges such drivers, it will be easier to
>get them merged upstream?

If distribution add features as patches, that can very well reduce the
incentive for the developers to ever push for upstream inclusion. The
original developers would have to be interested in merging and
maintaining it within the kernel. It would be much better to get the
discussion going in the linux kernel mailing list.

--
Rahul