Fedora Core 5 Status

Philippe Rigault prigault at oricom.ca
Fri Mar 10 22:28:02 UTC 2006

Thank you, Jesse, for the explaination.

On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 16:35:06 -0500, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-03-10 at 16:24 -0500, Philippe Rigault wrote:
> > Sure, only 2442 RPM packages have been rebuilt out of 2442.
>
> Um, no.  These were rebuilt before Test3, and the reason why Test3 took
> a while because we wanted to get these built FOR test3 so that they
> would get TESTING.

I see, I misinterpreted the fact that all packages have a last modification
date of March 6 or after, it is true that most carry the same name as in
test3. Most of them have therefore been touch'ed and not rebuild, right ?

And since packages based on gcc-4.1.0 and glibc-2.4 stable were indeed rebuilt
after test 3, it means that most packages on FC5 will have been built with an
earlier gcc/glibc (pre-release), different from that distributed in the
release.

As a consequence, if one takes an FC5 SRPM and does a 'rpmbuild -bb', the rpm
may contain differences from the native RPM disributed with FC5.

Am I right on these points ?

Maybe this deserves a little note in the release notes (unless I am the only
one who was confused).

Thanks.