System slowness with latest updates

David Timms dtimms at bigpond.net.au
Sat Mar 11 23:18:46 UTC 2006

dragoran wrote:
> Steven Haigh wrote:
>
>> On Sat, March 11, 2006 3:17 pm, Steven Haigh wrote:
>> As a followup to this, I've noticed that the syslog is around 3-4 minutes
>> behind the events that happen. say I login to an IMAP server, the maillog
>> shows the login at 16:57:48 - if I breat out of that and show the date,
>> the clock will show 3-4 minutes later (ie 17:01) - even though the line
>> has only appeared seconds ago.
>>
>> Even things such as spamassassin is taking 217 seconds to scan a 2Kb
>> email. snmpd results to localhost are timing out - even though the
>> process
>> is listening.
>>
>> It takes 45-50 seconds to log out of a su shell back to the logged in
>> user, the same for becoming root via 'su -'.
>>
>> I have never seen this kind of behaviour on a system before - especially
>> when the CPU is 99% idle. Has anyone come across this type of behaviour
>> before?
>>
>> the system is:
>> model name      : AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 2800+
>> stepping        : 0
>> cpu MHz         : 1602.495
>>
>> It has 1 Gb of RAM, and seemed to work perfectly until last nights
>> updates.
>>

> have you tryed a different kernel?
And which one are you using while seeing this ?

Can you check /etc/hosts and or post it here; I saw similar things when
I accidently removed my machine host name from /etc/hosts ? Or maybe it
doesn't have the localhost entry and net stuff is timing out.
ping localhost
ping {machine host name}
ping {gateway}

Second guess, that I have noted with win machines at the office - every
now and then win will set the netcard link to 100/Full or alternatively
to Auto, when it needs to be the other way (for win to boot properly -
depends on net card). This makes everything on the machine run really
slowly (opening any app - which tries to reference network printers,
because the card then communicates at 10/half, but in short responses  -
and never gets more than 100 Bytes/sec etc). I have never seen this on
Fedora, though.

DaveT.