shortcut to new shell opened behind the first one ....

Uno Engborg uno at webworks.se
Sun Mar 12 15:56:36 UTC 2006

John Summerfied wrote:
> Uno Engborg wrote:
>> Larry tb skrev:
>>
>>> When using shortcut ctrl shift N, to open a new shell, the new shell
>>> is opened BEHIND the actual one.
>>> Is it a new fonction ?
>>> Not very useful is it ?
>>

>> Every new window is opened behind the shell.  Try to type open
>> sabayon, by typing the
>> command from a shell, and you will find that the sabayon window is
>> completely covered
>> by the shell from which it was opened. In fact it made me think
>> sabayon was broken
>> as nothing seamed to happen.
>>
>> I think that they did it this way to prevent opening windows from
>> grabbing the user input,
>> something that could be serious if the user is typing a password.
>> However that situation is very rare and I think this should be
>> regarded as a bug.
>
> With the old behaviour it's disturbingly common for a dialogue to pop
> up and steal keystrokes. It's perfectly possible for a dialogue to be
> dismissed (by the user pressing the space-bar) before it's read - that
> has happened to me, and depending on the dialogue perhaps to result in
> other wrong actions.
>
> KDE has been doing this for years, and once I became accustomed to it,
> I think I've only found it inconvenient once or twice. The time I can
> remember is running tsclient on FC3 to run a remote desktop to a
> Windows box; when the session ends, the tsclient login dialogue pops
> up and is disabled by a (meaningless) modal error dialogue behind it.
No, KDE is not doing this. E.g try type sabayon from a gnome-terminal
managed by metacity
and typing sabayon in a ktermial running in Kwin. In  the Gnome case the
entire sabayon window is totally covered by the gnome-terminal in the
Gnome/metacity case. In KDE the sabayon window opens on top.

To make it even worse, if you are not root, in gnome will pop up a login
dialog on top of your
gnome terminal, totally making the "open behind thing" totally moot in
this case.

Regards
Uno Engborg