Radeon 9200 Detection During Installation - Could use some advice

Clyde E. Kunkel clydekunkel7734 at cox.net
Sun Mar 12 17:26:59 UTC 2006

On all of the FC5 clean test installs and rawhide daily net clean
installs including rawhide 3/12/06, one of my radeon cards is not
detected during installation.  I don't know if this is normal behavior
or a potential bug.  System has a radeon 9200 installed in the AGP slot
of an ASUS P4C800-deluxe mobo and a radeon 9200 SE installed in a PCI
slot.  The AGP card has a viewsonic crt attached and the PCI card has a
Princeton 17" LCD attached.

Anaconda, during its startup, reports that it finds a radeon SE
(secondary) with P225f-2 monitor, however, no problems during install
and xorg.conf is correctly created with the P225f-2 installed on
RADEON(0), the AGP 9200 card.  The anaconda logs show that both cards
are seen with the 9200 SE PCI card (busid 2:10:0) being reported before
the 9200 AGP card (busid 1:0:0).  This might be why anaconda says that
the installed card is the 9200 SE, but sets up with the 9200.

If I subsequently use system-config-display after installation and try
to create a dual head, the system freezes during gdm startup and no
reported errors in xorg.0.log.

I think this is an xorg problem because: 1) dual head works with SuSE
10.0 on xorg 6.8 and Gentoo 6.8.  It does not work on SuSE 10.1 beta
series, nor Mandriva Cooker, nor FC 5, all using either xorg 6.9 or 7.0.
  If I use the device, monitor and screen sections from the working SuSE
10.0 installation on a FC5 installation, I get a bit further with the
CRT **sometimes** getting to the gnome startup, but the LCD just has
random colors and the system freezes.  I have never tried the
proprietary ATI drivers with FC5, nor do I want to.

I am willing to bugzilla this, but would value some opinions from the
testing community if you have seen anything like this or have gotten
dual head to work with the new xorgs with separate graphics cards.

TIA.

--
Regards,

Old Fart
(my reply-to address is "munged" to defeat spambots)