no floppy dir in /media ? bug ????

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Mon Mar 13 01:30:54 UTC 2006

On Sun, Mar 12, 2006 at 07:01:53PM -0500, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> From a gnome desktop pov this is
> absolutely no different from fc4 experience when using gnome desktop
> functionality.  It doesn't matter that floppy media insertion can't be
> detected...

Well, the thing is that "gnome desktop pov" is only a part of
the whole picture and the original question was how to do that
from a command line.  You may need that in a script, for example.
Hence my answer.

> When using the
> gnome desktop, whether the fstab entry or the mountpoint exists
> doesn't matter..

And when not using that particular version of gnome desktop?

> Let's
> make sure we don't add additional confusion by giving them factually
> deficient information when they ask for an explanation.

Could you point which part was factually deficient?

What is actually deficient is the current version of 'eject' in FC5
which in the current setup is not very useful.  gnome-mount/gnome-umount
pair also could you some care.  There are corresponding bugzilla
entries in case you wonder.

   Michal