why do I have battery, button and ac modules loaded on a desktop machine?

n0dalus n0dalus+redhat at gmail.com
Mon Mar 13 08:56:32 UTC 2006

On 3/13/06, Arjan van de Ven <arjan at fenrus.demon.nl> wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-03-13 at 12:19 +1030, n0dalus wrote:
> > Can't it just check for the presence of a battery?
>
> the only way to do that is.. to load the kernel module

I personally don't have a problem with the modules being loaded. I
just would rather not have the gpm applet running by default when I am
not using a laptop. I guess that is a different concern to the OP
though.

> kernel modules are also small, and.. even more: batteries are hotplug.
> You can add batteries after boot. Even from 0 -> 1.
> In fact I'd not make batter and ac a module, but just build it into the
> kernel...

Maybe something (kudzu, hal?) could save a setting the first time it
detects a battery, and from then on the system would be configured to
be more laptop friendly (start gpm applet, maybe do other stuff).

I'm not suggesting the configuration differences between laptops and
desktops be hugely different, but there are some things that really
only benefit laptop users and if possible should only be loaded if
it's clear that it's a laptop.

n0dalus.