no floppy dir in /media ? bug ????

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Mon Mar 13 14:51:46 UTC 2006

On 3/13/06, Thomas Taylor <linxt at comcast.net> wrote:
> I'm using kde 3.5/fc5t2 and the desktop icon DOES NOT mount the device because
> it is not listed in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab.

fc5t2... I'm really not sure your experience with fc5t2 can be
considered state-of-the-art at this point with regard to kde's ability
to correctly interact with hal and dbus to negotiate mounts. All the
bugs ive seen filed against kde suggest to me that its working as
reliably on kde as it is in gnome.   But it would be instructive to
see an open bug ticket number for reference that I have missed in my
bugzilla search.

This appears to be due to a
> change in the way mountable devices are handled from FC4 to FC5.  Apparently
> they are now mounted under the udev system (from what I've heard).

I think you misunderstand the underlying technologies which have
shifted since fc4.

> change was made, nobody bothered to modify the way kde handles the mounting.

I'm pretty sure that's a factually incorrect statement.

-jef