Kernel patch request for AFS

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Mon Mar 13 22:42:46 UTC 2006

On Mon, Mar 13, 2006 at 03:50:02PM -0500, Monty wrote:
> [assuming I read that right, it's slightly ambiguous if 'kill it off'
> means the bug or the API]

The two are not seperable.

> [the technical reasons presented are perfectly sensible, but you still
> can't apply technical fixes to political problems.  AFS admins

The kernel head does not do political problems, it does technically sound
solutions (or at least tries to). Political packaging and tuning is for
vendors.

> Of course, they're running RHEL not Fedora, but what we're talking
> about is not specific to Fedora.

RHEL and AFS is a political matter, and those who want a political problem
solved can choose to solve it. The smart way would be to sort out AFS support
cleanly but the GPL gives vendors the right to solve it the dumb ways if they
want to do so.

Alan