/etc/inittab went away && wlan has weird device name

Julian C. Dunn julian.dunn at devlin.ca
Wed Mar 15 15:18:47 UTC 2006

I just did a yum update, updating to initscripts 8.31.1-1 (among other
things like a new kernel). When I rebooted, init complained that inittab
was missing, so I rebooted into rescue mode and found that there was
an /etc/inittab.rpmsave but no /etc/inittab. Has anyone else had this
problem?

Also, I'm using a Thinkpad T42 (2378RAU) and the wireless card shows up
as a weird device after boot:

dev8569   Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:0E:35:FC:39:23

Does anyone know why?

- Julian

--
Julian C. Dunn, P.Eng.