/etc/inittab went away && wlan has weird device name

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Wed Mar 15 22:08:59 UTC 2006

On Wed, Mar 15, 2006 at 02:08:43PM -0500, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Julian C. Dunn (julian.dunn at devlin.ca) said:
> > >
> > > You have a wired ethernet that is configured to be eth0, and your wireless
> > > module was loaded first, so it was moved out of the way.
> >
> > Okay - is that expected behaviour? (I'm currently running without
> > wireless configured, but I'm not suppressing the load of the kernel
> > module or anything like that)
>
> Yes. If you configre the wireless, it will be changed to whatever you
> configure when you bring it up. We're working on code to do all this
> at boot, but it's not ready yet.

At least in theory you should be able to give some "non-weird" and
a fixed name to your wireless interface in /etc/mactab.  Check
'man nameif' for a description.  I did not test that but various
scripts in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts make an impression that
they try to take /etc/mactab into consideration.

Surely you can get that if you will force a run of 'nameif' early
enough in a boot sequence but this means some extra startup scripts
and likely is not needed at all.

   Michal