Kernel 2054 breaks nvidia.ko loading

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Thu Mar 16 03:46:33 UTC 2006

On Wed, Mar 15, 2006 at 09:40:59PM -0600, Jonathan Berry wrote:
 > > An oversight on my part.
 > > print_tainted is used in the spinlock macros, so essentially,
 > > the macro is made GPL-only too.  I've reverted that change
 >
 > So, just curious, what does that mean?  The symbol can only be seen by GPL code?

yes

 > Oh, that's just lovely.  Trying to keep us on our toes, huh? ; )  Oh
 > well.  This should probably be put in the release notes so maybe it
 > won't bite too many right off (or at least we'll have an excuse...).

consider it an incentive to update to the errata kernel ;-)

 > For the future: How much testing did this kernel get?

It got built yesterday, and I ran a bunch of tests on it which it
stood up to.  Use of out-of-tree modules isn't part of that testing however.

 > If the images are already made up, is there a reason they won't be
 > available (anywhere?) before Monday?  Is it just anti-climactic, or
 > what?

entirely logistical.  It takes quite a while for the .iso creation run,
and even longer for the resulting images to be pushed out to the
mirror servers.

		Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk