Kernel 2054 breaks nvidia.ko loading

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 06:01:57 UTC 2006

On 3/16/06, Justin Conover <justin.conover at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/15/06, Gilboa Davara <gilboad at gmail.com> wrote:
>  On 3/16/06, Dave Jones <davej at redhat.com> wrote:
> > An oversight on my part.
> > print_tainted is used in the spinlock macros, so essentially,
> > the macro is made GPL-only too.  I've reverted that change
> > in cvs, but it's too late for the final FC5 image, which is
> > already being pushed out to mirrors.
> >
> > It'll be fixed in the very first update kernel for FC5, which
> > will likely be within the first few days of release.
> >
> >                 Dave
> >
> > --
>
> Ohhhh! Gasp!!!!
> Not again?!?!?
>
> Dave,
>
> This is beyond *bad*.
> This effectively kills each and every non-GPL kernel module out there.
> Instead of having a fun release-day, we'll be playing catch-up with
> numerous "Fedora-5-ate-my-baby" threads.
>
> There's got to be a way to fix it. Either by stopping the
> ISO-mastering or changing the release-notes to acknowledge the problem
> and pushing a new kernel ASAP.
>
> Gilboa
>
> Sounds to me like everything is fine, there will be an updated kernel after
> the release.

White you are right in theory, things don't work that way in real life.
It'll be something like this:
A. User downloads FC5.
B. User unaware of the problem.
C. User install Fedora.
D. User, not being forced to install updates, (and being unaware of
the problem) doesn't install the fixed kernel.
E. User tries to install nVidia/ATI/etc driver.
F. Fedora user hits the Forums/ML/etc claiming Fedora ate his baby.

I understand that it's too late to stop the ISO mastering/upload/etc;
FC must do it's best to air out the problem before 10,000 people hit
the forum with the same complaint.

Cheers,
Gilboa