Kernel 2054 breaks nvidia.ko loading

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 12:24:48 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-03-16 at 06:08 -0600, Justin Conover wrote:

> On 3/16/06, Gilboa Davara <gilboad at gmail.com> wrote:
>         On 3/16/06, Justin Conover <justin.conover at gmail.com> wrote:
>         > On 3/15/06, Gilboa Davara <gilboad at gmail.com> wrote:
>         >  On 3/16/06, Dave Jones <davej at redhat.com> wrote:
>         > > An oversight on my part.
>         > > print_tainted is used in the spinlock macros, so
>         essentially,
>         > > the macro is made GPL-only too.  I've reverted that
>         change
>         > > in cvs, but it's too late for the final FC5 image, which
>         is
>         > > already being pushed out to mirrors.
>         > >
>         > > It'll be fixed in the very first update kernel for FC5,
>         which
>         > > will likely be within the first few days of release.
>         > >
>         > >                 Dave
>         > >
>         > > --
>         >
>         > Ohhhh! Gasp!!!!
>         > Not again?!?!?
>         >
>         > Dave,
>         >
>         > This is beyond *bad*.
>         > This effectively kills each and every non-GPL kernel module
>         out there.
>         > Instead of having a fun release-day, we'll be playing
>         catch-up with
>         > numerous "Fedora-5-ate-my-baby" threads.
>         >
>         > There's got to be a way to fix it. Either by stopping the
>         > ISO-mastering or changing the release-notes to acknowledge
>         the problem
>         > and pushing a new kernel ASAP.
>         >
>         > Gilboa
>         >
>         > Sounds to me like everything is fine, there will be an
>         updated kernel after
>         > the release.
>
>         White you are right in theory, things don't work that way in
>         real life.
>         It'll be something like this:
>         A. User downloads FC5.
>         B. User unaware of the problem.
>         C. User install Fedora.
>         D. User, not being forced to install updates, (and being
>         unaware of
>         the problem) doesn't install the fixed kernel.
>         E. User tries to install nVidia/ATI/etc driver.
>         F. Fedora user hits the Forums/ML/etc claiming Fedora ate his
>         baby.
>
>         I understand that it's too late to stop the ISO
>         mastering/upload/etc;
>         FC must do it's best to air out the problem before 10,000
>         people hit
>         the forum with the same complaint.
>
>         Cheers,
>         Gilboa
>
>         --
>
> There has also been versions of RH/FC that were released with new
> kernel features that also broke the closed source drivers from
> [...]

In nVidia/ATI's defense, unlike previous FC/non-GPL problems (udev, 4K
stacks, etc) the problem is not with the closed source drivers failing
to follow the latest kernel trunk.
Beside releasing their code under GPL (Which is a good thing(tm))
there's nothing nVidia nor ATI can do to fix this problem.

Gilboa