RFE: have firstboot perform an initial package update

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 15:57:14 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-03-16 at 11:46 -0400, Ben Steeves wrote:
> I stuck this in the "new kernel breaks nvidia module" thread, but
> figured it'd be better if I pulled it out to generate some actual
> discussion...
>
> Has anyone ever considered the idea of having firstboot ask the user
> if they'd like to run an initial yum update before they even finish
> booting the first time?  It might cut down on the number of "Fedora
> ate my baby" posts.
>
> Just a thought...
>
> --
>  _  Ben Steeves                                    bcs at metacon.ca
> ( ) The ASCII ribbon campaign                  ben.steeves at unb.ca
>  X     against HTML e-mail                     GPG ID: 0xB3EBF1D9
> / \ http://www.metacon.ca/ascii      Yahoo Messenger: ben_steeves

I second the above.
Ummm... there's a problem, though: by doing it during firstboot you look
the user out of his machine till the download is completed... for slow
modem users this might be a problem. (Especially down the line, when
you'll have 1GB of updates to download...)
In theory, you could break pup/pirut into front-end/back-end and let
firstboot start a background upgrade process; once the user logs-in, he
can use the front-end to check the status of the download process.

Sound like a do-able solution for FC6...

Gilboa