Could tthere be an update iso distribution

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 17:01:35 UTC 2006

On 3/16/06, sean <seanlkml at sympatico.ca> wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 17:05:59 +0100
> Klaasjan Brand <fedora at kjb.dds.nl> wrote:
>
> > Maybe at last someone will reverse engineer the nvidia hardware and
> > build an open source driver? :)
>
> Just to be clear, there already is a perfectly good open source

Umm, the nv driver is far from being "perfectly good," sorry.  Most of
the time it works for 2D, yes.  As you mention below, it does not
support 3D at all.  Also, for me, the nv driver does not even support
simple 2D OpenGL programs for some reason.  Especially right now
OpenGL support is essential since I am taking a class that involves
writing OpenGL programs.

> nvidia driver that should be used by the _vast_ majority of people
> saddled with nvidia hardware.   Only those playing 3d games under
> Linux or driving multiple displays need to even consider the

Consider?  No, they *must* use the nvidia driver in those cases.
There is nothing to consider.

> proprietary driver.   Way too many people end up installing the
> binary albatross just for everyday desktop use, which is nuts.

That may be true, but when I spend a not insignificant amount of money
on a nice video card, I expect to be able to use all of the
functionality.  At least nVidia does a decent job of supporting their
hardware and providing Linux drivers that most of the time work (and
usually work *very* well).  That cannot  be said of some other video
chipset manufacturers...

Jonathan