Kernel 2054 breaks nvidia.ko loading

John Morris jmorris at beau.org
Thu Mar 16 23:46:37 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-03-16 at 13:09, sean wrote:

> More Fedora users should be considering carefully their real 3d needs
> and tune their graphics purchases to those supported out of the box
> by Fedora.   Those stuck with cards that need binary drivers for
> 3d graphics, will just have to deal with the bumps in the road; there's
> nothing on the horizon that suggests life is going to get easier.

And that mythical 3D card would be?  I just love this headlong rush
toward a 3D desktop while everyone sticks their fingers in their ears
and hums real loud everytime someone observes that there currently
exists ZERO supported hardware.

I keep buying ATI in the hope that someday it will be supported but
always install the proprietary driver after punching the reset button a
few times.  The free radeon driver & AMD have been trouble at least back
to '00.  But even when it doesn't lockup the machine it can't (as of
FC5t3) run most of the GL xscreensaver hacks correctly.

Nvidia is never going to be supported on Fedora.

Some old obsolete Matrox stuff is supported.

A couple of low performance shared memory pieces of crap from Intel are
supported, but aren't fast enough to be interesting, especially knowing
this push for a 3D desktop will rapidly devolve into a pissing contest
with Microsoft's Aero Glass over who can waste the most cycles on
eyecandy.

So pray tell, just what are Fedora users supposed to be buying?  Both 3D
desktop projects are buying Nvidia, so we know where they are in the
Free/Unfree spectrum.

btw, on RHEL it is even worse since it disables GL support in the radeon
driver, probably because of the aforementioned stability issues.

--
John M.      http://www.beau.org/~jmorris     This post is 100% M$Free!