Kernel 2054 breaks nvidia.ko loading

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Fri Mar 17 19:40:55 UTC 2006

> On 3/17/06, Gilboa Davara <gilboad at gmail.com> wrote:
> > What alternative are you offering to power our Xgl/Bling/what-ever
> > desktops? (Let alone running Quake4 at 1600x1200...)
>
> Doesn't the intel graphics sets now provide enough open support for bling?

A. Most of my machines are AMD based. Nuff said.
B. The two machines that are Intel, use the i915 on-board video that can
hardly drive xcompmgr... let alone bling ;(

> > Other then that, I'm being employed write a certain kernel level
> > services that are to be deployed on RHEL.
> > Due to specific reasons I cannot disclose (and as a matter of law) my
> > company cannot release the code under GPL (though I might get a
> > permission to release small unrelated parts of it). If indeed you
> > represent the official Linux-kernel-dev-line, my employer should halt
> > all Linux development and switch to BSD/Solaris/what-ever, right?
>
> I think your employer should abide by the licensing conditions on any
> 3rd party source code with which your employer's services will need to
> utilize in order to build a functional service.  If you need to look
> at the kernel sourcecode for what you are building then you will need
> to abide by the GPL.  If you or your employer are confused by the
> licensing terms embodied in the GPL are, I would also suggest your
> employer take the time to run the GPL past their legal cousel to make
> sure your employer knows exactly what is expected to comply and what
> the risks of non-compliance are. As your employer should be doing for
> any 3rd party sourcecode which you license for use. If your employer
> is to provide the work under the GPL, it is in your employer's best
> interest to have informed legal counsel make an informed legal
> judgement as to the matter.

Our legal dept checked the project and will abide the GPL requirements;
As I said, parts of our code will be made available to ensure full GPL
complaisance.

What Arjan was talking about is breaking the gaming-rules: Deliberately
stopping non-GPL kernel code from being executed.

Gilboa