file missing man-page !!!!

David Timms dtimms at bigpond.net.au
Tue Mar 21 13:31:12 UTC 2006

LarryT wrote:
> So Jonathan, i think we are all right :)
> BTW, i think that ftp installation necessary needs a remote ftp
> directory (of course !), where ALL (=ALL !!) the data have been copied !
> Here is the point i missed !
> The guy who wants to install from one cd, will surely burn the fc5disc1
> ! But this is not what i first did : i copy the contain of the first cd
> to a ftp dir : here is my mistake. Booting from the cd recue, the soft
> cant guess that the remote ftp dir only contains the first cd rpms !
> So this question/problem is closed (to me).
Larry,

You are very likely to need more than just disc1, even for a default
install. (Previous Fedora's I've need disc 1 & 2 for a GUI install with
the openoffice.org apps, if you want to install different types of
machines, you might need more (even for just a couple of files)
You don't have to copy the CD's content's to your ftp server path !
- just put the .iso images on the ftp server.

-it's something like: (you also need to get permissions correct - test
with a anonymous ftp to the server)
#mkdir /home/fc5/disc1
#mkdir /home/fc5/disc2
#mkdir /home/fc5/disc3
...etc
#mount -o loop FC-5...disc1.iso /home/fc5/disc1
#mount -o loop FC-5...disc2.iso /home/fc5/disc2
#mount -o loop FC-5...disc3.iso /home/fc5/disc3

 >linux askmethod
 >ftp
 >192.168.2.yourlocalserver
 >/home/fc5/disc1   [from memory]

The installer knows to look for disc 1 Fedora/RPMS in the given folder,
but when it needs disc2 it looks in ../disc2/Fedora/RPMS,
and when it needs disc3 it looks in ../disc3/Fedora/RPMS etc.

I did happen upon this by accident (looking at the CTRL-ALT-F3,F2 during
installation and seeing the multiple paths it was searching for ;-)

It all works quite nicely even though it is not well documented. (I go
one step further and set dhcp server and tftp server, and have the
machines to install do a network book and begin install).

DaveT.