Will we ever get a i686 build of fedora core

Jakub Jelinek jakub at redhat.com
Wed Mar 22 15:58:59 UTC 2006

On Tue, Mar 21, 2006 at 04:17:13PM -0600, John Morris wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-03-21 at 05:46, parta wrote:
>
> > I am wondering why people at redhat don't release fedora core for
> > i686. I think it will be better on performace.
>
> If this isn't a FAQ it should be.  RH (RHEL & Fedora) currently build
> i386 packages with the optimizations set for Pentium4.  This gets

That's actually not true any longer.  FC5 on i?86 is tuned with -mtune=generic,
which is a new tuning that gives good results on common Intel and AMD
CPUs (and others probably as well).  We still (mostly) use just the
i386 ISA, packages that use SSE usually select generic and SSE code based
on runtime probing, libraries that use atomic instructions also deal with
this individually and the only other major set of non-i386 instructions
are conditional move instructions, which apparently don't give any
advantages on CPUs like P4.

	Jakub