First Impressions

David Timms dtimms at bigpond.net.au
Thu Mar 23 13:03:49 UTC 2006

Leslie Satenstein wrote:
> Installation went flawlessly. I used a DVD from a mirror site.
>
> Screeen resolution is fine but movement actions are choppy. The test
> versions (t1-t3) had smooth scrolling and smooth output. Not the
> official relese.
>
> I tried revising the mouse parameters, but this has not helped. I
> will try some other techniques or request some hints.
>
> How do I measure (on a figure of merit) the gui stuff. Well, aside
> from the tests, for gui operation, I loaded the free cell solitaire
> and began moving the cards. I can get to the target location before
> the software / display catches up. This did not happen with Core5
> tests 1 to test 3.
I see smooth card animation no matter how fast I move the card/mouse.
What graphics card/chip do you use ?
$ grep -C 4 driver /var/log/Xorg.0.log

> With the test verision I felt as if the solitaire game card movement
> was as good as as in Core4, then we are with a winner.
As good as ? I would say it seems faster (with the standard open nv
driver on an nvidia fx5600 card) !

> It is perhaps choppy due to screen resolution or refresh frequencies.
> I will retry and if it works out, I will let you know. Otherwise, I
> would like help to make the game have more default dispatching
> priority. .
What are those frequencies ? it would have to be pretty low to be
causing the problems you are describing ?

> I would like to know if others have find some quirks as well.
On one machine I noticed lots of disk activity after first maybe second
boot. I found that beagle was doing indexing, perhaps top might show you
a cpu hog ?

> Good evening from Montreal
And good evening from au.melb

DaveT.