FC5 T3 -> FC6 Development?

Trey Sizemore trey at fastmail.fm
Sat Mar 25 03:47:09 UTC 2006

On Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:59AM, David Timms wrote:
> Dan Thurman wrote:

> >>It's generally a good idea to do a reinstallation. If you simply run yum
> >>update, you end up with pre-FC6 rawhide which is now boiling hot. That
> >>you only want to do if you would prefer to continue testing.
> There are days in testing where an update requires 500M of downloads, and then something needs a new release and it happens again the next day. You might rather your PC was a useful tool rather
> than forever downloading new packages.
>
> My advice: download FC5 and install. If you have separate partitions for / and /home, note down the partition information (to use during install) and ensure all the things you want to keep are
> under /home .
>
> Then reboot in single user mode, and mv /home/your-user-name to /home/name-old or similar.
>
> Reboot with CD/dvd for install, and ensure you choose custom partitioning. You then need to tell the installer which partition to use as which:
> /boot +format
> / +format
> /home don't format.
> Then you'll have a complete FC5 install, but haven't lost any info that was still on your disk under /home. However, the user account is created new so that any weird stuff from the old install
> is avoided.

So in doing this, do I then move /home/username-old back to
/home/username once done or just leave it the way it is and access the
old data going forward under /home/username-old?

<snip>

--
Cheers,
Trey

It's not reality or how you perceive things that's important -- it's
what you're taking for it...

Linux chameleon 2.6.13-15-default i686 GNU/Linux
 10:44pm  up   3:04,  4 users,  load average: 0.02, 0.03, 0.06