kernel 2.6.16-1.2107_FC5 breaks graphical boot (and cups and httpd)

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Thu May 4 23:51:46 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-05-04 at 13:24 -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-05-04 at 19:33 +0300, Gilboa Davara wrote:
> > Argh.
> > I meant, updates should be kept in updates-testing for a week or two
> > before being pushed into -updates.
> > This is kde-3.5/FC4 update disaster all over again :(
>
> The changes in 2.6.16.x are (supposed to be, and generally are) small,
> obviously correct fixes for things that are generally security related.
> So leaving them in -testing means time spent with vulnerable boxes.
>
> In this case, an update of the Xen patch crept in without Dave noticing
> and that's where the root cause of this problem.  Had that been
> realized, the update would have been handled differently.
>
> Jeremy

Jeremy,

I'm not trying to point fingers and/or throw mud.
My question is, will it be possible to find a mid-route, which combines
the shortest possible vulnerability period with a minimal risk of having
DOA machines? You'd agree that having 1000s of DOA machines doesn't
really sit well with Fedora's mission statement...
(Though, in Dave's defense, a machine that doesn't boot is a machine
which cannot be compromised ;))

Gilboa