update via pup caused my X session to close

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Mon Nov 27 22:52:36 UTC 2006

Chuck Anderson wrote:
> I was updating a couple days ago using pup, and in the middle of the
> package updates my X session closed, causing the update to terminate
> without finishing.  I was left with duplicate packages installed and
> not all of the updates were installed.  Has anyone else seen this
> behavior and maybe know which package caused it?

If you did not run yum afterwards (or pup) you should have the rpms
still in yum cache directories. You can use rpm in a VT terminal logged
in as root, change to the /var/cache/yum/<repo>/packages directory and
run rpm -Uvh --replacefiles --replacepkgs *.<arch>.rpm to install again
the rpms in text mode. The rpm multi-version problem is usually repaired
or brought down to a more reasonable level.

I stupidly upgraded an installation in the GUI once and had the problem
you mentioned before. I used the cached rpms to fix the problem and
*never* do upgrades with yum via a GUI terminal anymore.

There probably should be flagged packages where they are never upgraded
via the GUI included in pup or only upgraded when pup asks for a system
reboot before applying these updates.

Jim
--
Jones' First Law:
	Anyone who makes a significant contribution to any field of