Xen kernel requires pciback built in - not as a module.

Steven Haigh netwiz at crc.id.au
Thu Nov 30 11:38:56 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I've been playing with Xen a lot lately, however one thing I've
noticed is that if you need to pass hardware to a Xen guest, you need
to use pciback as a built in option - not as a module.

Say you need to have a serial port or USB port or similar to hand it
to a Xen DomU (guest), then you need to use pciback in the grub
config to get the kernel to ignore the hardware on Dom0 - which
allows pciback to grab the hardware and present it to the guest.

This is impossible with current Fedora Xen kernels, as pciback is
included as a module - and can only pass unassigned hardware (pci
cards etc) and NOT things such as USB controllers - as the kernel
automatically grabs them on boot.

I hope this makes sense :)

Anyone have any comments on this?

--