Realtek RTL8111B fc6 problems

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 18:13:30 UTC 2006

Actually I found that it is sufficient to run
make
after patching, so that you produce the modules (and btw the kernel
too, even if not necessary).
Then you can eventually unload the official r8169.ko module, and
safely copy the produced
/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/kernel-2.6.18/linux-2.6.18.i386/drivers/net/r8169.ko
module overwriting the official fedora one under
/lib/modules/2.6.18-1.2798.fc6/kernel/drivers/net/r8169.ko
and finally running a
depmod -a
to verify that no problems arise.
In this way you
- have not to reboot but you can immediately restart network services
- you don't need jak (just another kernel tm ;-) but you can use the
offical one.
- leverage the modularized architecture of linux...
I think the only risk could be to have a module produced by a
different compiler than the original ones you have on your system if
gcc was patched in the mean time...
With dmesg you can however see how was build the original fc kernel like:

Linux version 2.6.18-1.2798.fc6 (brewbuilder at hs20-bc2-4.build.redhat.com) (gcc v
ersion 4.1.1 20061011 (Red Hat 4.1.1-30)) #1 SMP Mon Oct 16 14:37:32 EDT 2006

Anyway, these steps work for me with the latest 2798 kernel.

I only have a problem with my cd becoming crazy when the network is stressed
Tipical examples massive yum updates or scp of great number of files.
I get incredible series of
Oct 29 17:44:52 tekka kernel: ide: failed opcode was: unknown
Oct 29 17:44:52 tekka kernel: hde: drive not ready for command
Oct 29 17:44:52 tekka kernel: hde: status error: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekCo
mplete DataRequest }
And I can only power off and power on.... the button itself of the cd
doesn't make anything.
But I think it could be a problem with irqs or the ide controller
JMB363 I have, or the cd device itself. ASAP I'm going to buy a sata
burner.. and see.
Or next panic I would try to trace. I'm seeing that sysrq works also
from graphical environment I didn't know this...

HTH
Gianluca