Fedora Core 6 Common Issues

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Thu Nov 2 23:21:57 UTC 2006

Adam Jackson wrote:
> Jim Cornette wrote:
>
>> I installed FC6 on a computer with a SIS integrated video. Anaconda
>> was not able to recognize the proper video card.
>
> Xorg.0.log please.  Preferably in a bug.
>
> - ajax

Since I am not familiar with where the log would be located during the
install (/tmp maybe) I'll need to do some research as to where the log
is located for new installs. Specifying 'linux xdriver=sis' made the
installation possible if I am correct. I do not think that i had to
execute a third attempt at installation with 'linux xdriver=vesa' though
possible. Anyway, I'll try the new install tomorrow with another HD on a
clean install and file a bug report regarding the failure, if possible.

Off note regarding the report filed by Michal Jaegermann. The reference
to erratic failures which caused multi-version entries of packages in
the rpmdb, the problem sounds like it could be repeated just by trying
installations over several times on any hardware, known problematic
hardware would probably allow repeatability with a higher frequency of
failures. The information in the report might be wise to diagnose. Who
gets the bug is beyond me since the component is the installer and
encompasses getting everybody's hard work installed on the system.
Investigation into the report would be beneficial for FC7 and what
follows. Maybe it will be one particular program which is important for
some needs which is not installed on most other users computers. If it
is a default installation and happens randomly, look for resolution at FC12.

Jim
--

         :)