system-config-kickstart

Chris Lumens clumens at redhat.com
Fri Nov 3 14:58:45 UTC 2006

> Just noticed that system-config-kickstart requires the root password to run. Is
> there any reason for this? I.e., it doesn't touch the existing system, only creates
> a file for later installations on other maches.

It was needed because s-c-kickstart uses yum to handle the packaging
screen, reusing the code from pirut.  It needed to be root to write the
yum cache files out.  However I have recently added a patch from Panu
Matilainen that removes this requirement.  2.6.15-1 in rawhide contains
this patch.  I'm planning on making an FC6 update, but I have some more
urgent tasks to take care of first.  It's on the whiteboard so I won't
forget.

- Chris