possible bugs in "system-config-kickstart"

George R Goffe grgoffe at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 4 03:12:25 UTC 2006

Howdy,

I'm making a ks.cfg file and am seeing some oddities that I felt that I should
report. Maybe they're just UFUs though.

Here's what I'm seeing.

### - build the first ks.cfg file

#1 - at startup I get the following messages. Are they the reason I can't past into
the %pre and %post sections?

system-config-kickstart

(system-config-kickstart:29362): Gdk-WARNING **: Connection to display
localhost:11.0 appears to be untrusted. Pointer and keyboard grabs and inter-client
communication may not work as expected.
Cannot open logfile /tmp/tmpjPpdY5/var/log/yum.log

#2 system-config-kickstart automatically goes to gather package information even
though I just want to change a few lines in an already existing ks.cfg file for
which the package information has ALREADY been gathered. I think it should do this
only if creating a new file.

#3 If I create a new ks.cfg file and save it and then go back and load it again to
add %pre/%post commands, the resulting ks.cfg file is quite different than the
original file.

#4 When configuring a static ip address the tool will you enter more than 3
characters for each octet. I would expect the tab key (which works) OR a "." OR
having entered character #4 to switch to the next octet. Currently the tool does NOT
do this.

#5 During the first "session" with this tool, I receive additional messages as
follows:

/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/pirut/GroupSelector.py:333: GtkWarning:
gtk_tree_view_scroll_to_point: assertion `GTK_WIDGET_REALIZED (tree_view)' failed
  gobject.idle_add(lambda x: x.scroll_to_point(0, 0), tree)
/usr/share/system-config-kickstart/kickstartGui.py:175: GtkWarning: Coercing
GDK_INPUT_ONLY toplevel window to GDK_INPUT_OUTPUT to work around bug in Xorg server
  gtk.main()

### - load of the first saved config file to make changes

#1 - see #2 above... gathering information

#2 - I make just 2 changes, in this case adding 2 characters to both the %pre and
the %post sections.

#4 - I want to save this file but the "save file" dialog requires me to enter the
filename I want to save as again. Isn't it logical to put up the original filename
in the prompt?

#5 - running diff on the first file generated and saved vs the second file saved
where I ADDED 4 characters in total as descripbed in #2 above. The net change
appears to be the "reboot" addition even though I did NOT specify the reboot option.
Why did
things get shuffled around? Here's the diff:

diff ks-test#*
23a24,25
> # Reboot after installation
> reboot
44c46
< testing 1 2 3
---
> testing 1 2 3 3a
46c48
< testing 4 5 6
---
> testing 4 5 6 6a
51d52
< @base
53d53
< @admin-tools
54a55,56
> @admin-tools
> @base
56c58
< @x-software-development
---
> @java-development
65c67,68
< @java-development
---
> @x-software-development
> @system-tools
73a77
> @graphics
76,78d79
< @system-tools
< @server-cfg
< @graphics
82c83
< @ruby
---
> @server-cfg
85a87
> @ruby
87d88
< @engineering-and-scientific
88a90
> @engineering-and-scientific

=====
"It's not what you know that hurts you, It's what you know that ain't so." Will Rogers