Mono and FC

David Nielsen david at lovesunix.net
Sat Nov 4 23:11:28 UTC 2006

lør, 04 11 2006 kl. 22:01 +0000, skrev Paul:
> Hi,
>
> > > Currently, it is very unclear as to what (if any) patents are infringed
> > > and as Jesse has said, they are OIN members. However, the possibility
> > > needs to be looked at as to what should be done. There is not really a
> > > problem of pulling Mono apps and libraries from FE, but for the likes of
> > > gnome, there is a lot resting on C#.
> >
> > So, other than tomboy, beagle, and f-spot, what Gnome parts are C# dependant?
>
> From memory, gnome was going to be making Nautilus and Evolution C#
> dependant.

As part of the agreement to make Evolution the official mailer in GNOME
the maintainers had to agree that it was not being moved to another
language (namely C#) without lenghty debate - at least if I recall
correctly. Regardless this is a solvable problem, we have Evolution free
of Mono now and hopefully Phillip Van Hoff' Tinymail will be able to be
a well designed base for a replacement if Novell goes nuts. If we need
to replace it right now, Thunderbird might be an option?

The Nautilus maintainer is Alexander Larsson who currently works for Red
Hat, I have yet to hear him say he's making Nautilus depend on Mono in
any way, sure there's the ability to use Beagle but that's optional and
it also allows us to tie in Tracker.

The only applications we need to get rid of in the Fedora desktop is
Beagle and Tomboy. I'd hate to see them go since I love them dearly
along with Banshee but if it's absolutely required then so be it.

Buttomline, no unsolvable problems and hopefully Red Hat Legal can give
us some guidelines for future development.

- David Nielsen