Proposals for mono-basic and monodoc

Gerald Henriksen ghenriks at gmail.com
Sun Nov 5 22:45:18 UTC 2006

On Sun, 5 Nov 2006 11:18:18 -0500, you wrote:

>On Sunday 05 November 2006 01:08, Horst H. von Brand wrote:
>> So it comes down to the exact licenses...
>
>Which Novell, being the copyright owner, has the right to change at any time.

And this differs from any other project included in Fedora how?  Any
project community could either change the license or simply abandon
any further development at any time.

Though people may perhaps want to read what Miguel has to say about
the future of Mono development first:
http://tirania.org/blog/archive/2006/Nov-04.html

>THAT is what scares me.  I strongly urge folks to _not_ make mono an integral
>part of any project as the license could change at any time and you could be
>faced with a choice between rewriting your project stack, or paying a royalty
>to use mono technologies.

So what would you recommend people build their projects on?

All the available options have negatives, some more serious than
others, and all likely have Microsoft issues if Microsoft really
wanted.