Proposals for mono-basic and monodoc

David Nielsen david at lovesunix.net
Tue Nov 7 03:51:02 UTC 2006

tir, 07 11 2006 kl. 01:24 -0200, skrev Evandro Fernandes Giovanini:
> Em Seg, 2006-11-06 às 22:09 -0500, Jim Cornette escreveu:
> > Justin Conover wrote:
> > >
> > > Back in the day, mpackage.org <http://mpackage.org> was setup, how about
> > > pushing all *mono* stuff to it, and clearing Fedora of any issues that
> > > might come up?
> > >

> > I uninstalled mono and friends from my system and do not really care
> > much for beagle or g-spot or whatever. I'd dump it into something a bit
> > safer unless there are projects undergoing that are worth the risk, like
> > maybe a C# version of an mp3 application. :-)
> >
> > Jim
> >

> Are you dumping OpenOffice.org too? Two of its main contributors (Sun
> and Novell) have a similar deal with Microsoft regarding software
> patents.
>
> My point is, if Fedora trusts that Novell's contributions to GNOME,
> Linux, Xorg, compiz, OpenOffice.org and other projects are not "tainted"
> after this deal, then I see no reason to give a different treatment to
> the Mono project, which is still commited to being free of Microsoft
> patents. Let's not spread FUD against Mono.

Could have something to do with the fact that .NET is Microsoft
technology covered by patents held by.. you guessed it, Microsoft. The
way the deal was made to sound like only Novell' Linux offerings are
safe.

Regardless Miguel mailed me earlier to say that a formal statement on
the matter should be forth coming so let's see what Novell has to say
and then Red Hat Legal might be able to advise us on where to go on the
matter.

- David Nielsen