Argh! Help!

Paul paul at all-the-johnsons.co.uk
Wed Nov 8 21:54:43 UTC 2006

Hi,

> > ... as all I get now when I boot up is that it unmounts the
> > old /proc, /sys etc directory and when it tries to mount the new /proc ,
> > complains that it can't and cannot recover from this.
>
> It this from initrd?  The same when booting an older kernel?

Yes and yes.

> If you can boot that way then just remake initrd as needed.

I can't boot irrespective of switching off selinux, noprobe, noacpi and
any of the 4 different kernels I have on the box. I'll try remaking
initrd though.

> Also are you able to boot "single-user"?

Makes no difference - gets to the mounting /proc and dies.

> > Please help - how to I get out of this fix? I've got the rescue disc,
> > have mounted and can chroot to /mnt/sysimage and it seems mostly okay.
>
> While on a rescue system 'rpm -r /mnt/sysimage -V glibc', and similar
> for other suspects (check /mnt/sysimage/var/log/yum.log for recent
> changes), and when you will find a culprit just reinstall it.
> Verify all recent updates.

Problem is here is that rpm -Uhv is giving a segfault, so unless I can
use rpm -r /mnt/sysimage -Uhv glibc*rpm, I'm a bit stumped.

TTFN

Paul
--
"Der einzige Weg, Leute zu kontrollieren ist sie anzulügen" - L. Ron
"Ich kann kein Science-Fiction schreiben" Hubbard; Lügner, Betrüger,