rawhide report: 20061109 changes

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Thu Nov 9 16:26:40 UTC 2006

On Thu, Nov 09, 2006 at 07:05:25AM -0800, Tom London wrote:
> On 11/9/06, buildsys at redhat.com <buildsys at redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> >gdm-1:2.17.2-1.fc7
> >------------------
> >* Tue Nov 07 2006 Matthias Clasen <mclasen at redhat.com> - 1:2.17.2-1
> >- Update to 2.17.2
> >
> This update 'saved' my /etc/pam.d/gdm in /etc/pam.d/gdm.rpmsave, but
> failed to create a new /etc/pam.d/gdm. This made gdmgreeter very
> unhappy.

Isn't this, by any chance, yet another hit by yum which in some
circumstances instead of updating a package first removes it, thus
saving various configuration file with an .rpmsave suffix, and
later installs a new version but is careful enough not to clobber
the same configurations which were saved?  There were hits of that
with 'initscripts', for example, and this ends up with
/etc/inittab renamed to /etc/inittab.rpmsave, which makes booting
somewhat "inconvenient", :-) and other examples of a less dramatic
nature.

There was a bug report opened for that but, unfortunately, somehow I
cannot find it right now.  Anybody with a reference?  One of troubles
is that apparently nobody knows how to reproduce that at will.
I certainly failed when I tried.

  Michal