yum -> rpmdb: Locker still has locks

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sun Nov 12 16:13:04 UTC 2006

Paul Dickson wrote:

>>> [...]
>> You probably have about 67 multiple package entries in your rpm database
>> due to the exit. Maybe it will be the other way, you will get three
>> multi-version entries.
>
> Actually there were no duplicate packages.  I checked before I did the
> rebuilddb and only duplicate was ORBit-devel, which I removed.  I checked
> again just now, and none.

It's great to know that you were not left with leftover entries from
exited before finishing a yum transaction. Since you said you did an rpm
--rebuilddb before the transaction, it must do a great job cleaning out
bogus entries from the database.
  I misinterpreted the 3/70 and the [...] above. So it continued through
to 70/70 after rebuilding the db before the transaction?

> I'm tempted to believe it's the yum bug that's (randomly?) removing files.

There is that remove before performing an upgrade problem when the
kernel is included in the transaction. I believe there are a few reports
filed where the transaction did not include a kernel upgrade also.

I think that the rpmdb corruption is more package transactions freaking
out rpm from expected practices. Though it might just be a bug recently
introduced into the rpm package causing this also. Who knows for sure.

Jim

--
Never trust anyone who says money is no object.