yum damaging rpm database on FC5

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Wed Nov 15 15:40:25 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-11-15 at 10:21 -0500, John Dennis wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-11-15 at 15:50 +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > On Wed, 2006-11-15 at 14:20 +0100, Wojtek.Pilorz wrote:
> >
> > > Is that a known problem?
> >
> > Don't know, but I had repeatedly been facing issues with similar
> > symptoms, on all 3 machines I have FC6 installed throughout last week.
>
> I don't get the lock problem, but with FC6 I find I frequently have to
> rebuild my rpm databases due to what appears to be rpm database
> corruption problems. Sorry, I don't have more specific information.

I my cases, sometimes rebuilding helped, but sometimes even this failed.
In those cases, I saw a very low level error messages, referring to some
"db corruption". Unfortunately I did write them down :(

However, sofar rebooting has always "magically" resolved this issue.
Makes me think about something very low level might have been broken
(filesystem, some low level locks, kernel, memory leaks?).

Ralf