Odd error when going from core to rawhide -865G video

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sun Nov 19 00:37:59 UTC 2006

Paul wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My old install of FC on the laptop had had it, so I installed a fresh
> copy of FC-6. It went on fine, but then nothing happened with X - it
> just gave a blank screen (I'm using an Intel chipset [865]).
>
> Being me, I've decided to move it over to rawhide and have noticed
> something odd.
>
> When updating, it frequently gives the following
>
> 4gb seg fixup, process prelink (pid 5684), cs:ip 73:08084338
> rinkt: xxx message suppressed.
>
> xxx can be any number really, but they're usually between 100 and 350.
>
> What is causing this? Also, is the X problem possibly down to me using
> the Xen kernel instead of the usual one?
>
> TTFN
>
> Paul

There are others with problems with the 865G video and using the xen
kernel versions. You might want to check bugzilla for the problem types.

I've been unsuccessfully trying to help others with getting their Intel
video cards working. Several had blank screens, problems with the server
crashing when switching from virtual terminals and a host of other problems.
I have a Dell computer which has been working fine since Arjan and a few
others on this list helped me with the BIOS settings and a few others on
the Fedora list helped me figure out that the BIOS version was buggy
also, in addition to the lower than it should be settings.

I've heard some talk that the server does what it wants now and
disregards settings in the xorg.conf file and instead uses internal
server detection for some settings. I don't know for sure and did not
investigate the driver to see if it was true though. With the random
problems on several systems (not mine thankfully) with the 865G and
various 900 series cards, the driver needs some attention.
Reading a posting recently (within the hour) from the fedora-list,
someone mentioned some upstream patches that might fix the 900 series
and maybe as a consequence fix the problematic 865 video. I just hope it
improves and does not break the video on my system, which currently
works fine.

Jim

--
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.