openvz inclusion in fedora or RHEL

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 17:36:56 UTC 2006

> parta wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I have read somewhere openvz people talking about getting openvz
> > included in Fedora or RHEL.
> > Is there any such plan, and then how will you maintain the
> > kernel-updates when openvz is released for kernels that are quite mature.
> > I thing you people are already having trouble with maintaning Xen
> > kernels for every kernel that is released. And openvz is going to be
> > more difficult to maintain
>
> They would probably need to work into getting their patches into the
> upstream kernel.
>
> Rahul

Rather OT'ish, but considering the recent warm relationship between MSFT
and XenSource, I've got a very bad feeling about having our virtualized
(Good one) future dependent on anything-remotely-Microsoft. It's not
like Microsoft never bribed one company behind closed doors to sue
OSS/Linux. (*Cough* SCO *Cough*)
Having Fedora adopt, even as a second, less supported option, OpenVZ is
a good way to hedge off our collective bet. (Plus, it'll go a long way
to help OpenVZ's patches into the mainline kernel tree)

- Gilboa