Have reached a point where I feel p***ed

n0dalus n0dalus+redhat at gmail.com
Wed Oct 11 03:17:59 UTC 2006

On 10/11/06, Mike A. Harris <mharris at mharris.ca> wrote:

> Now I fully understand that some people can be greatly frustrated
> when a developer tells them to report the bug they've reported to
> upstream.  I too sometimes feel frustrated when someone has told me
> to do that, so I can fully relate.  But the logic inherent in what
> I've said above holds true even for myself, and so upstream is
> often the best place to report a bug period.

I know this has been discussed before, but is there any work being
done to implement inter-bugzilla communication? It is much nicer as a
user to have one bugzilla account and one bugmail address and one
place to change/store settings/bookmarked searches, and it means you
can follow up on all your bugs from one place. Also, when critical
bugs in a Fedora package are reported upstream (bugs we might have
blocked a release on, for example) we could end up releasing
insecure/baby-eating software without realizing it (I know this can
happen anyway, but the more critical bugs we know about the better).
It would be really great if some of the larger products used in Fedora
(kernel, freedesktop (X.org), openoffice, mozilla, gnome, gcc, etc)
could have their bugzilla's "connected" to our bugzilla. That way, if
a report is made that belongs upstream, the maintainer can press a
button and have it automatically reported upstream and then synced as
local (Red Hat bugzilla) changes or remote bugmail comes in. No
modification to upstream bugzillas would be needed, just a bot with
accounts at those upstream bugzillas.

Am I just daydreaming?
n0dalus.