linux/config.h header file missing?

Garrett Mitchener garrett.mitchener at gmail.com
Wed Oct 11 19:21:05 UTC 2006

I've tried building several kernel-related programs on FC6 test3, like
an older version of the mptscsi driver and the ATI proprietary driver
for FireGL graphics cards and such.  I keep running into this error
that they want to #include <linux/config.h> and there is no such file
in any of the kernel versions.  Is this a packaging mistake where this
file has somehow been left out of an RPM?  Or has something happened
recently in kernel development such that the kernel no longer comes
with this file?

I've been able to get many of these things to compile by creating an
empty file, as in,

touch /usr/src/kernels/2.6.18-1.2747.fc6-x86_64/include/linux/config.h

but I'm a little uneasy about this hack.

-- Garrett Mitchener