dvd drive appears confused (ireason = 0x01)

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Wed Oct 11 19:38:09 UTC 2006

Hello all,
I have fc6 dev updated at yesterday and I'm having these kind of messages

hde: cdrom_pc_intr: The drive appears confused (ireason = 0x01). Trying to recov
er by ending request.

They appear tipically when there is no disc in drive.
For two times, after running commands involving the network (yum
update for downloading many packages but not extensive tests to
confirm this is the reason) I got continuously these messages and no
way then to control the pc, but powering off it.
MB is asus p5b-vm with ICH8/G965 chipsets and the unique ide channel
for the cd drive is controlled externally form the chipsets by the
JMicron jmb363.
I don't either understand why the cd is seen as hde and not hda ......
Some outputs:
[gcecchi at tekka ~]$ cat /proc/ide/drivers
ide-disk version 1.18
ide-floppy version 0.99.newide
ide-cdrom version 4.61

[gcecchi at tekka ~]$ ls -l /proc/ide/
total 0
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Oct 11 21:35 drivers
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 Oct 11 21:35 hde -> ide2/hde
dr-xr-xr-x 3 root root 0 Oct 11 21:35 ide2

[gcecchi at tekka ~]$ cat /proc/ide/ide2/hde/model
ATAPI DVD DUAL 8X4X12

[root at tekka gcecchi]# cat /proc/ide/ide2/hde/settings
name                    value           min             max             mode
----                    -----           ---             ---             ----
current_speed           0               0               70              rw
dsc_overlap             0               0               1               rw
init_speed              0               0               70              rw
io_32bit                0               0               3               rw
keepsettings            0               0               1               rw
nice1                   1               0               1               rw
number                  0               0               3               rw
pio_mode                write-only      0               255             w
unmaskirq               0               0               1               rw
using_dma               1               0               1               rw

>From dmesg I get:
Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 7.00alpha2
ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
JMB363: IDE controller at PCI slot 0000:03:00.1
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:03:00.1[B] -> GSI 17 (level, low) -> IRQ 177
JMB363: chipset revision 2
JMB363: 100% native mode on irq 177
    ide2: BM-DMA at 0xb400-0xb407, BIOS settings: hde:pio, hdf:pio
    ide3: BM-DMA at 0xb408-0xb40f, BIOS settings: hdg:pio, hdh:pio
Probing IDE interface ide2...
hde: ATAPI DVD DUAL 8X4X12, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
ide2 at 0xbc00-0xbc07,0xb882 on irq 177
Probing IDE interface ide3...
Probing IDE interface ide0...
Probing IDE interface ide1...
Probing IDE interface ide3...
ide-floppy driver 0.99.newide

The cable connected to the dvd-rw is a 80 pin one. I don't know if it
can influence...
Any help from those using similar MBs in hw is appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Gianluca