Questions about system-config-* tools

John Mahowald jpmahowald at gmail.com
Sun Oct 15 17:56:26 UTC 2006

On 10/11/06, Kwan Lowe <kwan at digitalhermit.com> wrote:

> I've been using some of the system-config-* tools under FC6T4. They all seem to use
> the consolehelper application. Some questions:
>
> 1) How is the root authentication cached? I notice that the first use of the tool
> requires entering the root pw, but subsequent ones do not. I would like to turn off
> this feature to force root auth every time.

Possibly the consolehelper man page will help, or any other pam
documentation you find.

A workaround might be to use "su -c" which will only do one command.

> 2) Is it possible for system-config-securitylevel-tui also prompt for root pw?
> Currently it exits with "ERROR - You must be root to run lokkit."
>
> 3) When running system-config-packages as non-root, it throws an error "Unknown
> Error" instead of putting up the root password dialog. Twice so far this error has
> occurred when running as the root user.

The best thing to do in this case is to file bugs and feature requests
to track these issues:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BugsAndFeatureRequests

John