mga driver improved by user compiled 1.4.2 version of the driver

Kristian Høgsberg krh at redhat.com
Tue Oct 17 14:46:14 UTC 2006

Jim Cornette wrote:
> Adam Jackson wrote:
>> Jim Cornette wrote:
>>> Thanks to a Fedora user for compiling a version of the xorg driver
>>> and packaging it within a source and binary and supplying a link to
>>> the tar version for the source.
>>>
>>> Is there any way to get this version into FC6 before it is released?
>>
>> No, frozen, etc.  I can pop it into updates though.
>>
>> - ajax
>>

> Thanks! I've been using the user supplied version for awhile and it
> seems to work great compared to the previous version that went out of
> range for both the installation attempts and for resolution "downshifting".
>
> Adding this to extras will be fine. xdriver=vesa will be a popular
> posting on the Fedora List though for those trying to install. Then
> they'll have to update to the new driver, run s-c-display to get mga vs.
> vesa after install.

No, that's not what he said.  We're not moving the mga driver to extras
anytime soon.  As you may have read elsewhere on this this, FC6 is deeply
frozen and will be released in a few days, so we can't fix mga this late in
the game.  Other than that, you're right, it will be annoying for mga users
and we will likely see a lot of bugs for this.  The fixed driver will be
available as an fc6 update when fc6 is available, all you need to do is to say
'yum update' and run system-config-display as you mention.

cheers
Kristian