FC6Pre nfs install fails

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Sun Oct 1 19:57:00 UTC 2006

On Sun, Oct 01, 2006 at 02:02:51PM -0400, Ernest L. Williams Jr. wrote:
> Okay, I did the following:
> grub> root (hd0,1)
>   Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
>
> grub> kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-1.2708.fc6
>    [Linux-bzImage, setup=0x1e00, size=0x1e6599]
>
> grub> initrd /initrd-2.6.18-1.2708.fc6.img
>     [Linux-initrd @ 0x37ddc000, 0x213a86 bytes]
>
> grub> boot
>
> After booting up, I got a console login.

Yes, that's the ticket.

> Now, I need to reset the root password.  Can I do this
> from grub as well?

No, you cannot.  But you can, as it was suggested before,
boot in a single-user mode by appending "s", or "1", to your
"kernel" command and then you can set that password any way
you want.

> Ultimately, I need to get back to the rescue CD as I will want to do a
> fresh install.

Well, apparently your hardware decided to quit so not before that is
fixed.  OTOH if you are that far you should be able to install from
a disk partition (one on which you are _not_ installing).

   Michal