ata_piix and ide drivers in kernel

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Mon Oct 2 01:23:09 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-09-29 at 15:20 -0400, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 29, 2006 at 12:28:37PM +0000, michiel wrote:
>
>  > kernel parameters:
>  >
>  > libata atapi_enabled=1 ide hdc=noprobe
>
> Asides from the hdc=noprobe, the rest of the command line does nothing
> in current kernels.  libata.atapi_enabled=1 *used* to do something,
> but now that's the default (Also you missed the all important '.').
> And 'ide' doesn't do anything, and never did afair.

I hate to ask this question, but why do I need to manually supply a
command line argument for this to 'Just Work'?  This is actually really
frustrating and users of other operating systems wouldn't put up with
this sort of thing.

While I hate to compare Windows with Linux, I can't help but think that
if this was a problem in Windows (and not Linux) we'd all be laughing
about how you have to supply command line options are boot to get your
hardware working properly under Windows.

Given Linux's excellent hardware detection, couldn't it be determined
whether this argument is needed at boot (or install) and have it
automatically added to the command line without the user knowing?

R.
 It's much better on my side"