Reading boot messages on the fly

Jay Cliburn jacliburn at bellsouth.net
Tue Oct 3 13:37:15 UTC 2006

On Mon, Oct 02, 2006 at 11:24:53PM -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Jay Cliburn (jacliburn at bellsouth.net) said:
> > Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > >
> > >boot_delay affects kernel messages only; it does not affect userspace
> > >messages (such as the initrd, etc.).
> >
> > Is a printk from the bowels of, say, a network driver considered a kernel
> > message or a userspace message?
>
> Anything printk is kernel, anything else is userspace.

Thanks.  That's what I thought.  Then boot_delay doesn't work as advertised.
Try it.  I'd be interested to know if it works differently for you than
how I described earlier.  If you set boot_delay=500, be prepared for a
four-minute delay before booting even starts, but when it does, the initial
boot messages are indeed delayed by a half second each.  However, when
init memory is freed, all subsequent kernel messages run at normal speed.

Jay