rawhide report: 20060929 changes

Kwan Lowe kwan at digitalhermit.com
Fri Oct 6 11:49:50 UTC 2006

>> From: Gilboa Davara <gilboad at gmail.com>
>>
>> $ OOSIZE=$(rpm -qi $(rpm -qa openoffice*) | grep Size | awk '{print $3}'
>> | xargs | sed 's/ /+/g') ;
>> echo $((($OOSIZE) / (1024 * 1024)))MB
>> 240MB
>
> Well, I have to tip my hat to that little bit of plumbing....
> Almost makes me want to give up tcsh/perl for bash/awk.

:D
Here's my cantrip:
[lemur ~]# rpm -qa flux* --queryformat "%{size}\n"|awk '{SUM+=$0}END {printf "SIZE:
%6.2fM\n", SUM/(1024*1024)}'
SIZE:   2.29M

> I wonder if...
>
>   1) I should start yet another Light Emacs Project in C (as long as
>      it could eat the funny bindings in my ~/.emacs file!)
>
> No!  Better if...
>
>   2) Emacs-common could be broken into core/extras portions with
>      a <1/10 ratio, since it is currently 300+MB

Just to throw my two cents in...
It would be great if even the dependencies could be lessened. I'm often building on
low space machines (5G disks and even 1G USB sticks). Some time ago I tried removing
some unused packages but the cross-dependencies made it almost all or nothing. For
example, currently to install emacs I need to pull in Xaw3d and emacs-common, which
is 12M. vim-minimal is much smaller.

(Wow, it's weird that as soon as this emacs thread started, Seagate stock has been
volatile. Coincidence?)

--
* The Digital Hermit   http://www.digitalhermit.com
* Unix and Linux Solutions   kwan at digitalhermit.com