Am I shooting for the stars asking for kernel 2.6.19 RC1 for FC5?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Mon Oct 9 20:32:42 UTC 2006

On Mon, 9 Oct 2006, Gilbert Sebenste wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Oct 2006, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>
> > not really.  why not just download the source straight from
> > kernel.org, configure, build and install?  seems to work fine for me.
>
> I've never tried it before, and I'm afraid of hosing something big
> time. I wouldn't even fathom on where to begin. Besides downloading
> it. :-) Besides, isn't Fedora's kernels tailored specifically to
> Fedora, so some things might stop working?

1) download and untar source tree into personal (non-root) home
directory
2) copy a recent FC config file from /boot into the top level of that
source tree with the name ".config"
2a) [optional] "make menuconfig" to tweak config if you want

(remaining steps to be done all from top level of kernel source tree)

3) $ yes '' | make oldconfig
4) $ make

(become root, then)

5) # make modules_install
6) # make install

  reboot to new kernel.  if things go terribly, horribly wrong, reboot
to old, working kernel.

  no big deal.

rday