[OT] nouveau packages for Fedora

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Mon Oct 16 12:24:36 UTC 2006

Dawid Gajownik wrote:
> On 10/16/06, Jim Cornette <fct-cornette at insight.rr.com> wrote:
>> I could only get some garbled output compared to the nv driver.
>
> What kind of card do you have (chipset)? Could you upload somewhere
> your Xorg.0.log? Is nouveau kernel module loaded?

I have a NV5M64 [RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro] (rev 15)

The program generated some rpms for libdrm for the git build which
updated normally with rpm -Fvh.

I could not get a fully successful results and there is no nouveau
modules. The build fails on  Compiling sources
                                     drm-kmod
With the last several lines below:
sh ../scripts/create_linux_pci_lists.sh < ../shared-core/drm_pciids.txt
rm -f linux
ln -s . linux
+ ln -s ../shared-core/savage_state.c savage_state.c
make -C /usr/src/kernels/-i686  SUBDIRS=`pwd` DRMSRCDIR=`pwd` modules
make: *** /usr/src/kernels/-i686: No such file or directory.  Stop.
make: *** [modules] Error 2

RPM build errors:
     Macro %kvariants has empty body
     Macro %kvariants has empty body
Compilation failed!
                                                                     [
FAILED ]

> It would be nice if you could contact directly with developers of
> nouveau (#nouveau on irc.freenode.net). I'm only a dumb packager who
> wants to make testing a bit easier.

I'll consider contacting the developers with problems that I encounter
if attempting further installation of a 3D nvidia card OSS driver.
Thanks personally for trying to get this launched into a reality,
hopefully in the not too far from future.
I gave away one nvidia AGP card and another nvidia card was tossed back
at a later date.

>> I changed nv to nouveau in the config file.
>
> Actually, this should be done automatically after reboot. I used
> scripts from xorg-x11-drv-nvidia package from rpm.livna.org ;-)

It probably would have automatically changed the entry in the xorg.conf
if the build process ever got that far through.

>> I could not find the other programs as described on the webpage
>> referenced.
>
> Which programs do you mean?

nouveau service will disable nouveau driver if kernel module is not
present (this is similar to nVidia driver from rpm.livna.org repo). You
can alway turn it on/off manually by executing following command:

nouveau-config-display enable

or

nouveau-config-display disable

Jim

--
   Honk if you are against noise pollution!