Kernel 2.6.18-1.2200 beeps too often

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Wed Oct 18 17:12:00 UTC 2006

On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 06:56:45AM -0700, Sean Bruno wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-10-18 at 12:47 +0100, Leo wrote:
> > Following the kernel update in FC5, a few people (including me) have
> > noticed that their computers beep almost everywhere.
>
> I would vote to turn it off, but I'm fine with it if others find it
> useful.

To turn that off system-wide just put in /etc/modprobe.conf this
line:

install pcspkr :

This will work the next time modules are loaded.  For now you
can do 'modprobe -r pcspkr'.

If you want to silence that where 'readline' is used, like in bash,
then make your own ~/.inputrc with 'set bell-style none' there
(details in 'info bash') and that hopefully should do it.

   Michal